World Class Maths: Asian Maths Pedagogy
At Macmillan Education, our vision is to deliver innovative solutions that will drive student performance and help educators and institutions to achieve excellent results. Providing training that is relevant and accessible to all is one key way we can support those schools that are using our materials.
We have created, in partnership with the University of Southampton, two free online courses to support teachers who are interested in finding out more about why Asian Maths is so successful and how to implement this methodology within the classroom.
Our MOOC called – World Class Maths: Asian Teaching Methods features:
- An introduction into the highly effective method of teaching maths
- Understand teaching principles from Singapore and Shanghai and learn to apply them in your own practice
- Evaluate the performance of maths education in your own country
- Learn why teacher professional development is so important in Asian countries
Our MOOC called – World Class Maths: Asian Teaching Practice features:
- An introduction to Asian maths teaching methods for primary education
- Examine key features of Asian maths teaching
- Develop lessons plans based on Asian maths teaching methods
- Design mathematical tasks to develop your maths teaching
Both courses are led by Dr Christian Bokhove who is a world leading expert in mathematics education, with a particular focus on curriculum, classroom instruction, assessment, teacher professional development and comparison of East and West.
Both MOOCs include:
- Course content developed and led by a world-leading expert in maths education
- Coverage of both theory and classroom application
- Options to follow a set timetable or to learn at a flexible pace
- A forum for exchanging ideas and asking questions
- Optional certificate of completion (fee applicable)
Teaching Through English: Primary Maths and Science
As part of our growing commitment to teacher professional development, we’ve partnered with NILE, a leader provider of professional development for teachers, trainers and education professionals around the world. The online teacher development provided by NILE Online was inspected by AQUEDUTO in November 2017 and the overall finding is of a high quality offer, with NILE Online meeting the AQUEDUTO quality standards.
The Teaching through English: Primary Maths and Science teacher development programme has a specific focus on supporting International or English-medium schools where teachers and learners may not have English as a first language.
The course content addresses the language of maths and science and aims to help teachers develop confidence in explaining ideas and concepts in English to achieve the best learning outcomes for students.
The course content is delivered online in an engaging and highly effective way that enables participants to quickly and easily bring new skills into the classroom for immediate impact.
The Teaching through English: Primary Maths and Science programme offers:
- Fully-tutored by highly qualified specialists trained to deliver excellent and supportive online teacher education
- Content which is written and developed specifically for teachers whose first language may not be English or who are teaching students whose first language is not English
- Highly effective tools such as a collaborative sharing tool, a multi-media discussion space to share opinions and ideas and interactive video presentations – these tools ensure a rich and effective online learning experience. You can hear more about these bespoke tools here.
- Individual and group feedback from the Tutor ensures that the experiences of the group are shared and learning is enhanced which is particularly relevant as participants are from across the world.
- An opportunity to engage with like-minded teachers across the globe to share best practice and keep up-to-date with the latest teaching techniques
- Access to the content for 6 months following the course to help embed new learning
The online course is comprised of 8 modules, taught over 8 weeks, with one half-term week and an assignment to complete. All participants receive a certificate of attendance from NILE Online and Macmillan Education International Curriculum.
For more information on this course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org